Your library card is good at all 21 locations of the Public Library of Nashville and Davidson County. Please treat your card with the same care you would a credit card. You are responsible for everything checked out on it. Damaged or lost items will be billed according to the Library's Replacement Policy. If your card is lost or stolen, contact the Library immediately. Replacement cards are $1. For the most convenient service, always bring your card to check out materials.
Books on tape or CD
||Maximum of three renewals
|DVD (less than six hours)
|| 7 days
|DVD (more than six hours)
|Hoopla Movies & TV
- A total of 100 items may be checked out on each account at any given time. Up to 10 of these may be DVD or Playaways.
- You may return your materials to any Nashville Public Library branch or book drop.
- If you forget your library card, identification is required to borrow materials.
- Reference materials do not circulate.
- Loan rules may vary for special services such as Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- Overdrive items do not count towards your 100 item limit. View Overdrive checkout rules.
- Hoopla items do not count towards your 100 item limit and are not visible in your library account. View Hoopla information and checkout rules.
You may renew materials in your online account, at any library location, or by telephone at 862.5800. After close, call the automated renewal line, 862.5890. You will need your library card number to renew.
- Videos and DVDs: You can renew videos and DVDs once, as long as there are no holds. The exceptions to this rule are videos and DVDs from the Library Service for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing, which checkout for three weeks.
- Books, audiobooks, music CDs: You can renew books, audiobooks, and CDs three times, as long as there are no holds on the item.
- You can renew overdue items to stop accruing fines.
Items cannot be renewed when,
- there is a hold on the item.
- your card is not active.
- the computer system is down.
Fines & Fees
Please return your materials on time. Overdue fines are:
- Cataloged adult books: 10¢ per item, per day. $5 maximum per item.
- Cataloged children's (j) books: 10¢ per item, per day. $2 maximum per item.
- Playaways: 10¢ per day, per item. $5 maximum per item.
- Audiobooks on tape/CD: 10¢ per item, per day. $10 maximum per item.
- Music CDs: 10¢ per day, per item. $5 maximum per item.
- Videos/DVDs: $1 per item, per day. $10 maximum per item.
- Damaged or lost items are billed at full price plus a processing fee. Replacements are accepted only if they are unused, and identical to the material lost or damaged. Please talk with a staff member to learn more about purchasing replacement materials before you buy!
- Delinquent materials and fines are automatically routed to an outside collection agency after 45 days.
- You can renew overdue items to stop accruing fines.
The Library reserves the right to refuse further service until overdue materials are returned and account balances paid.
You may place request items within the library catalog to be held at your library or shipped from another Nashville library. Once the item has been located in the library catalog, select REQUEST. You will enter your library barcode number and PIN number. Then select the branch you wish to pick the item up from. You will receive a confirmation when your request has been submitted.
Holds are limited to 25 items per account at any given time (excluding Overdrive items). Items on hold must be checked out on the library card of the patron for whom the hold was placed. For the fastest and most convenient service, when picking up an item held in another person's name, present that person's library card OR the pick-up notice for the hold.
When holds are ready for pickup, videos and DVDs, books, audiobooks, and music CDs will be held for 7 days.
You may be notified when items are ready for pickup by phone, email, or postal mail. Login to your account or call the library to update your preferred method of notification.
***Beginning September 1, 2014, the Library will no longer send mailed circulation notices. You can receive notifications via e-mail or phone. This will help the library save paper and postage. If you receive mailed notices, please update your account contact information to include a phone number or email if you would like to continue to receive notices.***
Approved users may pick up holds for others after presenting a picture ID.
An approved user is another adult who is 18 or older whom you wish to have access to your account. You must visit a library to designate an approved user for your account, unless you did so on your library card application. You accept responsibility for all actions that occur as a result of this access. Revoking access must be done in writing.
An approved user can:
- Check out patron holds only.
- Pay fines.
To access the patron account to which one is an approved user, the approved user must do one of the following:
- Present the library card.
- Present an approved form of ID and: Know the name and address of the patron and be listed by the patron as an approved user on the account.
Cards are available to individuals who live outside of Davidson County. The annual fee for nonresident membership is $50. Library visitors are welcome to use library materials, including databases, during their visit.
Complimentary Non-Resident library cards will be issued to persons who can prove they are:
- Tennessee State Legislators
- Metro Government employees and Metro School employees
- Nashville Public Library volunteers who complete 20 hours of service in one year
- Students living in on-campus housing in Davidson County or within the Goodlettsville city limits (will need to verify permanent home address)