Writer’s Rooms are available on an annual basis to Nashville writers through an application and selection process.
- Writer's Rooms may be booked up to one year in advance.
- Writer's Rooms may be used for up to six months. If no one else is waiting to use the room, additional time up to three months may be booked at the end of the initial reserved time period. Applications will be considered quarterly in January, April, July and October during the first full workweek of the month. A letter of notification will follow the next week.
- Usage of a Writer’s Room is restricted to persons who have a signed publisher’s contract, are underwritten by a third party, have been formerly published (with evidence of previous publication), who have a letter of interest from a publisher, journalists possessing valid press credentials, visiting scholars and academicians (current and retired).
- A three-member committee, comprised of library staff members and a community representative, will determine priority usage of the rooms. Preference will be given to authors using the Nashville Public Library collections. The Library Director, the Main Administrator, or Special Collections Division Manager may approve short‑term Visiting Scholars’ requests for Writer's Room assignment on a space-available basis for a period not to exceed one month.
- There is no charge for usage of a Writer’s Room
- Writers wishing to check out library materials will need a Nashville Public Library card. Library cards are available at the Return Desk on the first floor. If the writer is from outside Davidson County, the fee for a card will be waived. The card will expire at the end of the Writer's Room assignment.
- Writers may borrow materials for three weeks at a time with unlimited renewals, unless another person has a hold on the item(s).
- Reference materials must be returned at the end of each day.
- The writer must abide by all the rules, regulations and policies of the Nashville Public Library.
- While the room will be assigned to one writer exclusively during the period approved, library staff may enter Writer's Rooms, as necessitated in the normal daily operation of the facility.
- The Library is not responsible for loss or damage to personal items left in the assigned room.
- The Nashville Public Library welcomes donations of published materials produced, in whole or in part, utilizing the resources of the Nashville Public Library.
- Questions about policy and procedures may be directed to the Main Library Administrator, (615) 862‑5806.
- If writer requests an extension following the six‑month period, time limits indicated above should reflect appropriate limits.
- Visiting Scholars, by the nature of the classification, are short‑term users and are from outside what would be considered reasonable daily travel for library use. This classification must meet the criteria indicated above, but time limit will be in weeks or month. Time limits indicated above should reflect appropriate limits.
Main Library Administrator
Nashville Public Library
615 Church Street Nashville, TN 37219
Download a Writer's Room Request Form or ask for a print copy at the service desk in the Nashville Room, Main Library, 2nd Floor.
Revised July 20, 2012