Writer’s Rooms are available on an annual basis to Nashville writers through an application and selection process. Learn how to reserve a Writer's Room.
- Writer's Rooms may be booked up to one year in advance.
- Writer's Rooms may be used for up to six months. If no one else is waiting to use the room, additional time—up to three months—may be requested and will start at the end of the initial reserved time period. Allow two weeks for your application to be reviewed. A letter of notification will follow the next week.
- Usage of a Writer’s Room is restricted to persons who have a signed publisher’s contract, are underwritten by a third party, have been formerly published (with evidence of previous publication), who have a letter of interest from a publisher, journalists possessing valid press credentials, visiting scholars and academicians (current and retired).
- The Library will determine priority usage of the rooms. Preference will be given to authors using Nashville Public Library collections.
- There is no charge for usage of a Writer’s Room
- Writers wishing to check out library materials will need a Nashville Public Library card. Library cards are available at the Return Desk on the first floor. Writers may borrow materials for three weeks at a time with unlimited renewals, unless another person has placed a hold on the item(s).
- Reference materials must be returned at the end of each day.
- The writer must abide by all the rules, regulations and policies of Nashville Public Library.
- While the room will be assigned to one writer exclusively during the period approved, library staff may enter Writer's Rooms, as necessitated in the normal daily operation of the facility.
- The Library is not responsible for loss or damage to personal items left in the assigned room.
- Nashville Public Library welcomes donations of published materials produced, in whole or in part, utilizing the resources of Nashville Public Library.
- Questions about the policy or procedures may be directed to the Assistant Director for the Main Library, (615) 862‑5806.
Revised March 6, 2019