About Your Library Card
You can use your card at all 21 Nashville Public Library locations and for all online services.
Please treat your card with the same care you would a credit card. You are responsible for everything checked out on it. Contact the library immediately if your card is lost or stolen.
Getting a Card
Davidson County Residents
Library cards are free for all residents of Davidson County.
- For a full access card, present your ID and proof of address at any Nashville Public Library location.
- For access to online materials only, individuals 13 years and over can register online.
If you live outside Davidson County, you can receive a free library card to check out physical items only or you can pay a $10 yearly fee to obtain access to online resources in addition.
- To get a card, present your ID and proof of address at any Nashville Public Library location.
Accepted Forms of ID
- Driver's License or Learner's Permit
- School ID (if under 18)
- Military ID
- ID Only with Date of Birth
Accepted Proofs of Address
- Mail postmarked within the last month
- Pay stub dated within the last month
- Utility bill dated within the last month
- Voter registration card
- Current lease/Deed agreement
Using Your Card
For the most convenient service, always bring your card to check out materials. If you forget your library card, you may provide photo identification instead.
Use of your card signifies that you have read and agreed to the library’s current policies.
You may check out up to 100 items (including up to 10 DVDs or 10 Playaways) on your card at one time.
Overdrive, Hoopla, and other digital items do not count towards the 100-item limit. Checkout rules for some cards (Educator Cards, Power Cards, Courtesy Cards, etc.) may differ.
You may return materials to any Nashville Public Library location or bookdrop. Items left while the library is closed will be considered returned as of the last date the library was open.
You will need your library card for all renewals.
Renew materials 3 ways:
- In person at any library location.
- Online, by logging into your account.
- By phone, using our 24-hour automated account system at (615) 862-5890. You will need your library card number and the barcode numbers of the materials you wish to renew.
Items cannot be renewed when:
- the item is on hold for someone else,
- your card is blocked for any reason,
- the maximum number of renewals has been reached.
If an item you’re looking for is checked out to another customer or if the item is at another branch location, you may place a hold on the item and pick it up at your preferred branch. You will be notified by email or phone when the item is ready for pick up.
- Holds are limited to 25 items per account at a time. Holds placed on Overdrive, RBdigital, or other eMedia do not count toward the 25-item limit.
- Holds will be held for 7 days for pick up at your preferred branch. Holds on Overdrive or other eMedia may have shorter pick up time frames.
- Holds are not transferable to other library cards. Items on hold must be checked out on the library card of the patron for whom the hold was placed.
- Approved users may pick up holds for primary cardholder after presenting a picture ID.
An Approved User is an adult to whom you give access to your account. An Approved User can check out holds, renew materials, and pay fees.
To add or revoke an Approved User, you must visit a library location in person. You accept responsibility for all actions that occur as a result of this access.
Overdue, Damaged, or Lost Items
There is no charge for items returned late. Once you have exceeded maximum lending periods, or failed to return borrowed items, charges and limitations apply.
- A damaged or lost item is billed at our purchase price. When fees equal or exceed $9.99, the item must be paid for or replaced in order to resume using a card.
- Accounts with two or more billed items are not usable until items are returned, replaced, or paid in full.
- Delinquent materials and fees are automatically routed to an outside collection agency when the balance is $56 or more and at least one item is overdue by 52 days.
- Replacement items are accepted only if they are unused. They must be the same or newer edition than the material that was lost or damaged. Please talk with a staff member to learn more about purchasing replacement materials before you buy.
Checkout, Renewal, Holds Info
See complete checkout, hold, and renewal info by material type (book, ebook, curriculum kit, etc.).Checkouts, Renewals, Holds Chart