Get a Card
About Your Library Card
You can use your card at all 21 Nashville Public Library locations and for all online services.
Please treat your card with the same care you would a credit card. You are responsible for everything checked out on it. Contact the library immediately if your card is lost or stolen.
Getting a Card
Davidson County Residents
Library cards are free for all residents of Davidson County.
- For a full access card, present your ID and proof of address at any Nashville Public Library location.
- For access to online materials only, individuals 13 years and over can register online.
If you live outside Davidson County, you can receive a free library card to check out physical items only or you can pay a $10 yearly fee to obtain access to online resources in addition.
- To get a card, present your ID and proof of address at any Nashville Public Library location.
Accepted Forms of ID
- Driver's License or Learner's Permit
- School ID (if under 18)
- Military ID
- ID Only with Date of Birth
Accepted Proofs of Address
- Mail postmarked within the last month
- Pay stub dated within the last month
- Utility bill dated within the last month
- Voter registration card
- Current lease/Deed agreement
Using Your Card
For the most convenient service, always bring your card to check out materials. If you forget your library card, you may provide photo identification instead.
Use of your card signifies that you have read and agreed to the library’s current policies.
You may check out up to 100 items (including up to 10 DVDs or 10 Playaways) on your card at one time.
Overdrive, Hoopla, and other digital items do not count towards the 100-item limit. Checkout rules for some cards (Educator Cards, Power Cards, Courtesy Cards, etc.) may differ.
You may return materials to any Nashville Public Library location or bookdrop. Items left while the library is closed will be considered returned as of the last date the library was open.
Renewals are easy. We automatically renew eligible items, so you don’t have to.
Items will not be renewed when:
- The item is on hold for someone else.
- Your card is blocked for any reason.
- You have reached the maximum number of renewals allowed.
- Renewals are not allowed on the material (e.g., Lucky Day titles, eBooks). See list of materials eligible for renewal.
About auto renewal:
- When your item is automatically renewed, you will see the new due date when you log into your account.
- You will not be notified if your automatic renewal is successful.
- If items cannot be automatically renewed, you will receive a due date reminder by your chosen method (text, email or phone).
You can also renew items manually by using My Account or calling (615) 862-5890 and using our automated service. Have your library card number and PIN handy. You will need the barcode numbers of the materials you wish to renew.
If an item you’re looking for is checked out to another customer or if the item is at another branch location, you may place a hold on the item and pick it up at your preferred branch. You will be notified by email or phone when the item is ready for pick up.
- Holds for physical material are limited to 25 items per account at any given time.
- Holds are held for 7 days for pick up at the designated library location.
- Holds are not transferable to other library cards.
- Holds on OverDrive are limited to 10 items and do not count towards the 25 item limit mentioned above for physical material. OverDrive holds are held for 3 days.
An Approved User is an adult to whom you give access to your account. An Approved User can check out holds, renew materials, and pay fees. To add or revoke an Approved User, you must visit a library location in person. You accept responsibility for all actions that occur as a result of this access.
Overdue, Damaged, or Lost Items
There is no charge for items returned late. If you fail to return borrowed items, account limitations and fees may apply.
- Accounts with two or more lost or damaged items are not usable until at least one item is returned, replaced, or paid in full.
- Replacement items are accepted only if they are new or like new. They must be the same or newer edition than the material that was lost or damaged. They cannot be a used library copy. Please talk with a staff member to learn more about purchasing replacement materials before you buy.
- Delinquent materials and fees are automatically routed to an outside collection agency when the balance is $56 or more and at least one item is overdue by 52 days.
- Some services have administrative fees: routing to a collection agency, replacing electronic equipment, etc. If fees equal or exceed $9.99, accounts will not be usable.
Checkout, Renewal, Holds Info
See complete checkout, hold, and renewal info by material type (book, ebook, curriculum kit, etc.).